COMNET17 IS SOLD OUT.
September 27, 2017
Opens at 10:00am
2:00pm - 4:00pm
- Imitation and Inspiration for Community Foundation Communicators
- **Please note: this workshop will begin at 2pm ET and finish at 6pm ET. This is a special four hour workshop hosted by CommA. If you sign up for the workshop you will not be able to attend a Late Session.**
- Stop Rebutting and Start Reframing
- History as Sticky Content: Re-engineering Your Analog Past for the Digital Future
- Put Punch and Clarity in Your Messaging (and Lose the Fog and Clutter)
- Feeding the Media Beast
Scientific Method: Exploring the Science of Communications and Magnifying the Communications of Science
4:15pm - 6:15pm
Measuring and Communicating the Impact of Your Digital Strategy
Communicating for Change: A Playbook for Connecting Big Ideas to Societal Action
Motivate and Resonate: How to Practice Mindful Messaging
4Context: Mastering the Art of Opinion Writing
Your Audience is Diverse. How Diverse are Your Communications?
Opening Night Reception on the Fontainebleau Lawn 6:30pm - 8:30pm
September 28, 2017
Opening Remarks and Keynote Speaker Sarah Hurwitz interviewed by Melanie Newman
8:45am - 10:15am
8:45am - 5:30pm
10:15am - 11:00am
11:00am - 12:00pm
- INNOVATION AT WORK: How Nonprofit Communicators Can Become Catalysts for Organizational Change
- Pathways, Pitfalls and Preaching: Refreshing Your Organizational Values
- A Nation’s Story: Designing the Smithsonian’s NMAAHC Online Experience
- Building Your Leadership's Street Cred: A Statewide Foundation's Experience with Listening Tours
- Storytelling in A Thunderstorm: Communicating Through a Crisis
First, Do No Harm: The Top Five Communications Practices That Should Change Today
Make It Great, but Make It Responsibly: The Ethics of Content in the Social Sector
12:00pm - 1:30pm
Keynote Speaker Katherine Boo interviewed by Meredith Klein
1:30pm - 2:30pm
2:30pm - 3:00pm
3:00pm - 4:00pm
- The Science of Story Building
Communicating in a “Post Fact” World: The Missing Art and Science of Explanation
Designing Communications With - Not For - Your Grantees
Sparking a Communications and Advocacy Ecosystem: A Guide for Funders and Partners
Difficult Conversations: How to Communicate Changes in Your Grantmaking to a Variety of Audiences
Advocacy Communications: How to Strengthen Movements and Effect Change
Print AND Digital—Pushing Your Content by Knowing Your Audience
Technological Innovation? That’s the Easy Part
Keynote Speaker Frank Luntz interviewed by Grant Oliphant
4:15pm - 5:15pm
September 29, 2017
Special breakfast panel discussion on climate change and the threat to Miami
8:00am - 9:00am
Keynote Speaker Michele Norris interviewed by Sean Gibbons
9:00am - 10:00am
10:00am - 10:15am
10:15am - 11:15am
- Collaborating with Community and Nonprofit Partners to Gather, Listen and Learn From Voices That Matter
Three Years and 30M Unique Users Later: Lessons Learned from Launching a Non-profit Brand
Free as in Puppy: Lessons Learned From Building A Digital Strategy Capacity Building Program
Speaking With a Unified Voice: How to Build Communicating Coalitions to Achieve Greater Impact
Are you a Unicorn? Key Qualities to Build an Awesome Comms Shop
Getting Return on Your Research Investment: 3 Key Steps to Effectively Communicate Research
Back to the Future: Equipping Your Organization to Win in a World of Breakneck Digital Innovation
Announcement of ComNet18 Location, Closing Remarks, and Keynote Speaker Franklin Sirmans interviewed by Daphne Moore
11:30am - 12:15pm
Please note: the schedule is subject to change.
Wondering about your timing?
When to arrive in Miami Beach:
Your arrival date and time depend upon your planned schedule.
Are you attending a Pre-Conference Workshop? Please plan to arrive at the Hotel Fontainebleau by 11:00am on Wednesday, September 27.
Will you be joining us at the Opening Night Reception on the Fontainebleau lawn? Please plan to arrive by 5:00pm on Wednesday, September 27.
Want to make it in time for the opening remarks of the conference? Please plan to arrive at the Hotel Fontainebleau by 8:00am on Thursday, September 28.
When to depart Miami Beach:
Planning on staying for the full conference? Please plan to depart the Fontainebleau no earlier than 12:30pm on Friday, September 29.